Sourdough Focaccia

Greetings all,

I did some experimenting with my sourdough. Its been almost a year I've been caring for the little guy and we've had some good times indeed!

This week I ended up with my fair share of sourdough discard through my experiments. Pancakes and brownies are on the way.

In trying to get the perfect sourdough loaf, I ended up with a second starter so to speak and a last minute decision led me to make a sourdough leavened focaccia. 

It. Blew. My. Mind. 


Naturally leavened Focaccia

Definitely worth the 12 hour wait.

I took the recipe form Alexandra's Kitchen and it is rather adaptable, but if you are looking for those lovely air bumbles, its best to follow as closely as possible. 

Back to trying to achieve the perfect loaf. I've been working on my feeding ratio and frequency. I keep my starter in the fridge and when winter started here in Montreal, I quickly realized I needed to up my frequency to keep my starter strong. My usual feeds were 1:1:1 ratio and I decided to try a 1:2:2, keeping my original starter intact. 

On the left is my experiment so to speak and right its BILLIE boy, notice the difference?


My goal remains; to get Billie to triple in size. I think this will happen if I feed daily, but my life just does not allow this. The 2-3 refreshments before baking is a strategy by The Perfect Loaf that I am trying out, results to come.

Anyway, without further a do here are my Focaccia results. I've linked the recipe here for those who wish to give it a try.




Beginning of Bulk fermentation

End of Bulk fermentation 6-8 hours


Resting on baking sheet (3-4 hours) prior to baking

Final product

Look at this air bubbles!

Just gorgeous




Comments