Just being me, that is enough.


I have been trying to be as good to myself as I possibly can. I have been trying to lead a healthy lifestyle (to the best of my knowledge). But I have encountered some hurdles along the way: namely getting lost with the copious amount of information that is being put out daily by the health and fitness industry, and trying too many things at once without really knowing what works and what doesn't.

My issue lies in trying to establish a lifestyle that I know is the best for ME.



I'll give you a little bit of background story. I'm 32, a university graduate, employed (9-5), lead a fairly active lifestyle, enjoy food, love to be with family. Now keep in mind a few years ago, at 25 years old, this was not me. Ive grown into this fine lady and I've never been prouder. I've tried gluten free and dairy free diets (mostly due to my eczema and it has worked well for me). I enjoy bread, pasta and cheese when I want (in moderation). I am training for my second half-marathon (it does not get any easier) and lift weights 3x per week (therapy).

This works well for me although I do find myself stressing over not getting in all my workouts and not getting in enough protein (things I don't think I should be stressing over). I have come a long way in my health journey, I am leading my healthiest life, but some days I am still not satisfied. I still feel like I am not doing enough, and I still compare myself to others.

This leads me to ask, when will it be enough?

I have been asking myself this lately. I have been putting myself through the ringer, trying to figure out why am I so exhausted? Why am I still not happy with my accomplishments? What more do I want?

So I decided to think back.. think about how far I have come: from an over weight adolescent (weighing in at 160lbs at 13 years old was not fun), to a young adult making poor choices (academically and socially), to a young woman who has let go of her bad habits (incorporating a steady work/life balance, who eats much healthier, works out regularly and who appreciates her family).

So yeah I have come a long way and I am dam proud of my accomplishments...

****
So? What's the problem?

Now the challenge is to keep this thing going, to keep the fire lit. My drives are no longer the same. Things have changed, I have changed. I have new needs and desires. That is life.

I can still be healthy, be with family and make new friends while pursuing new goals I set for myself. I should not over stress about missing a work out here and there (or punish myself - and this goes for social matters too). I should value that I have the ability to move, that I can run, that I can lift, that I am alive. Why should I make myself feel bad because I don't have a thigh gap or because I still have love handles or because I will never weigh 120 pounds and be a model? I am healthy, alive and sane. What more do I want, no really?! It sounds extreme but I have been on the other side of this. I have lived some moments in my life I would never wish upon anyone and would never want to relive.
Shouldn't I be thankful for where I am today? Isn't that enough?

Isn't just being me, alive, healthy and well, enough?



The next time you feel bad about yourself think about being kind to yourself instead. Think of what you have overcome think about what you deserve. Dam right you worked hard to get here and you deserve to enjoy this moment. We are so often too hard on ourselves.

Remember that being you, at this present moment, is enough and that you are just doing the best you can just like everyone else.

 

Comments