Sourdough Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
It's pumpkin season and I ain't mad about it.
I don't think I ever really fully appreciated this time of year. Maybe it was because growing up I always had so many other things on my mind that I couldn't just stop and appreciate the autumn leaves and spooky vibes. Fall is so perfect for long walks and yoga. I think it was only when I started baking that I was really able to appreciate fall in all its glory.
I always preferred the Christmas season but I think this recipe is perfect. It ties both seasons wonderfully.
Sourdough Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls.
I've adapted this recipe from Maurizio which was featured on King Arthur's.
I modified it a bit and added just the right amount of pumpkin to give the rolls a fun pumpkin vibe. I used pumpkin spice instead of cinnamon and the flavours are just wonderful. We like to add a lot of glaze on the buns to satisfy our sweet tooth.
Feel free to add chopped pecans in the rolls, on top or even on the bottom of the pan so its mixes with that sweet caramel that will ooze out once they are baked! I will try that next time!
Ingredients
Dough:
1 cup starter (fed and ready to go)
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
3/4 cup lukewarm milk
1 egg (room temp)
57g softened butter
325g all purpose Flour (I mixed in between 60-80g whole wheat bread flour - spelt works well too)
1/3 cup sugar
8g salt
Filling:
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp pumpkin spice
2tbs melted butter
Icing:
1 1/2 cup confectioner sugar
2 tbs milk or cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
Method:
Once starter is ready to go (do float test and a couple feedings prior to ensure it is strong) mix all ingredients for the dough except the salt. Using a stand mixer with the dough hook mix on lowish speed for 2 to 3 minutes.
Next up autolyse:
You will add the salt on the dough but do not mix. Leave it for about 20 minutes. This is called the autolyse which basically gets all the ingredients in your dough nice and wet, salt prevents the autolyse to reach its full capacity.
Once ready Mix again for 1 minute and kneed for 2-3 minutes using your stand mixer.
Bulk rise:
The dough will need to rise for a good 3-4 hours depending on your method of choice. Try to do stretch and folds every hour for maximum of 3 this will help strengthen the dough and it lets you see and feel the evolution fo the dough. At this stage you should keep the dough at room temperature (comfortably at 75 F) the dough likes to be warm.
Assembling:
You have two options here... well, three really.
If you plan to bake the rolls same day do a 4 hour bulk rise then assemble the buns and let rise for another 2-3 hours before baking.
If the plan is to bake the next morning you can either pop the dough in the fridge and let it slowly finish its rise overnight and then assemble and bake them in the morning or you can assemble them that night and then leave in the fridge overnight to bake in the morning. Wow that was a mouthful. I did the latter considering my baker's schedule below.
To assemble spread dough on a lightly floured bench or countertop. You want to make a rectangle here preferably 14" by 20" with the short sides east to west. Butter the dough to the edges and add filling evenly all the way to the edges leaving 1/2" exposed dough on either the east or the west side. This will be used to seal the log after rolling.
Roll evenly and tightly and the log should stretch out slightly to about 18" if not, stretch it a bit. This will ensure you get 12 beautiful rolls. I unfortunately missed that step and ended up with 10 big beautiful rolls and two mini ones.
Cut the rolls 1 1/2" in thickness using a serrated knife or dental floss. Place in greased 9 x 14 inch pan or lined with parchment. Let rise or refrigerate overnight.
Bake:
Preheat oven at bake 400 C. If you did a cold overnight rise let them come to room temperature before baking.
Bake for 18-22 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 190F. Cool and ice!
Bakers schedule:
9am fed my starter
2pm mixed the dough
2:15 pm autolyse
3pm final mix and bulk rise for 3 hours (stretch and fold every hour) * If planning to bake same day or evening after 3 hours and your stretch and folds leave on counter for another hour to keep rising.
about 6 or 7pm
Either put the dough in the fridge overnight and prepare rolls in the morning or prepare rolls and leave in fridge over night. I prepared the rolls at night so that in the morning I could just warm up the oven, let them come up to room temperature and bake. If you opt for the former let dough come to room temperature before assembling the rolls and then once assembled leave them to rise another hour. Keep in mind the rolls will not puff up as much as traditional rolls namely because of the sourdough (depends on its strength) and in addition when you add pumpkin and other ingredients it can slow down the rising process.
Next Morning
Take the buns out and let come to room temperature (about and hour or so)
Preheat oven at bake 400 C
Once ready bake for 18-22 minutes or internal temp reaches 190 F
Let cool before icing.
Enjoy!

Comments